The 14th Africa Day for Food and Nutrition Security (ADFNS) Commemoration and the 19th Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Programme (CAADP) Partnership Platform convened from October 30th to November 2nd, 2023, in Lusaka, Zambia.
The event was structured under the theme, “Accelerating the Implementation of the African Continental Free Trade Area Agreement in the Context of CAADP Commitments for Safer and Healthier Diets.”
This vital assembly sought to explore the strategic synergy between implementing the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA) and fostering healthier, safer diets through the prism of CAADP commitments.
The Africa Day for Food and Nutrition Security (ADFNS), commemorated every 31st of October, was declared on July 2010 by the African Union Heads of State and Government at the 15th Ordinary Session of the AU Summit in Kampala, Uganda.
CAADP PP is the African Union’s main platform for policy dialogue, lessons sharing and accountability among the CAADP Stakeholders to advance the CAADP Agenda.
- The event featured compelling keynote speeches delivered by influential personalities and dignitaries, stressing the urgent need for Food and Nutrition Security advancements.
- The Africa Youth Food Expo launched the AUDA NEPAD Youth4Nutrition Initiative which involved young Chefs across the region, that demonstrated the culinary skills to promote healthy diets, and underscored the growing engagement and involvement of the continent’s youth in nutrition.
- The high-level panel discussion of the African Food Systems Parliamentarian Network (AFSPaN) members, playing a role at national level, advocating for more resources and political will within their parliaments on efforts related to CAADP commitments.
- A high-level panel discussion also brought together leaders from top organizations in the fight against hunger and malnutrition, fostering valuable dialogues.
- A pivotal moment was the launch of the Consortium of Youth in Agriculture and Climate Change (CAYACC), signalling a significant step in involving youth in agricultural sustainability and climate resilience efforts.
Reference: Communique of the 14th Africa Day for Food and Nutrition Security (ADFNS) Commemoration and 19th Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Programme (CAADP) Partnership Platform | AUDA-NEPAD